These paleo crispy smashed potatoes are as rich in flavor as they are crispy, and are the perfect gluten-free side to add to any Whole 30 meal plan, or just to serve as a side at parties!
If there’s one thing I’m all about, it’s simple and easy. Simple and easy meals, simple and easy midterms, simple and easy on the rent increase.
These paleo crispy smashed potatoes are about as easy as they come. They’re the perfect little carb to have on hand, or great to serve as a side at parties. I love being able to serve these with dinner, or save them to eat with some breakfast sausage and avocado. Especially if you are preparing for the Whole 30 in January, these little crispy potatoes are great.
A Little Disclaimer
So here’s the thing about these little potatoes, there are two ways to soften them up. One involves cooking them in the oven for thirty minutes to soften. The other.. well
When I was managing the social media for another large account, I posted a recipe that included an easy trick for softening potatoes in the microwave (btw you can find my recipe for BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes here). There was public outrage, apologizes and all sorts of public outcry demonizing microwaves and me for even mentioning it. Needless to say I became more cautious of mentioning the microwave ever again.
But I mention the microwave method because I know that there are some of us out there who are managing multiple responsibilities, and sometimes the microwave makes life easier. If I have the time I will roast these in the oven, but if you are short on time and have multiple mouths to feed, please use the microwave method:
- Wrap the potatoes in a wet paper towel and place on a small plate.
- Depending on the size of the potatoes, cook them on high for 5 (smaller potatoes) – 7 (larger potatoes) minutes, or until you can easily pierce the skin with a fork.
Paleo Crispy Smashed Potatoes
I love these recipe for a million reasons, but mainly because it’s so easy.
I buy my organic multi colored potatoes at Trader Joe’s in the veggie section. You can also buy them at most grocery stores, but if you’re cooking with the skin on make sure to buy organic. Most pesticides will nest up in the skin.
These are just as simple as softening them up, using the back of a spatula to smash and crisping them up before covering in your favorite seasoning. If you get them soft enough using the methods described above, they should be pretty easy to smash. And sometimes that is the best part. You want to season them with your favorite blend (Primal Palate Adobo Seasoning is CLUTCH for potatoes) and crisp in the frying pan for a few minutes before serving.
You can also finish them off with some Primal Kitchen Ranch Dressing for a tasty finger food. You’ll be the hit at parties, trust me.
These paleo crispy smashed potatoes are as rich in flavor as they are crispy, and are the perfect gluten - free side to any Whole 30 meal plan or just to serve as a side at parties!
- 1 package organic fingerling potatoes
- 1 tbsp cooking oil (I love Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Spray)
- 1/4 tsp favorite seasoning (I recommend Primal Palate's Adobo Seasoning or Meat and Potatoes seasoning)
- 1 tsp parsley
- For the microwave: Place the potatoes in a wet paper towel. Place the potatoes on a plate, and microwave on high for 5 - 7 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes. Make sure you can easily pierce the potatoes with a fork to make sure they are done. Let them cool completely before smashing.
- For the oven: Pre heat the oven to 445. Place the potatoes on a cooking sheet, and cover with cooking oil. Pierce each of the potatoes for a little extra help with the venting. Place in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork. Let them cool before smashing.
- Cover a small frying pan in cooking oil and pre-heat on low.
- Using a large spatula, smash each of the potatoes until they are flattened but not completely broken.
- Place the smashed potatoes on the pre heated frying pan. Season the potatoes with your seasoning of choice.
- Cook each potato in the frying pan on each side for two minutes.
- Add garnishes if desired or dressing and enjoy.