How awesome are paleo breakfast sandwiches? They have everything you need for a complete breakfast packed in a nice little bundle of carbs, proteins and healthy fats. I don’t have much time in the mornings as I spend about 80% of it in traffic (#lifeincalifornia). When prepared in advance, a paleo breakfast sandwich can come in handy when you know, mornings happen. What’s good about these too is they are perfect for the entire family. Toss them in their hands as their running out the door, and all is right with the world.
For the waffles, I use Birchbenders Paleo Pancake mix, as they are the easiest and well downright most delicious paleo waffle mix out there. This allows me to focus on the other parts of the sandwich while these babies are cooking up on the waffle maker.
For the waffles:
- 3/4 cup of Birchbenders Paleo Pancake Mix
- 3/4 cup of almond milk ((you can use filtered water as well))
- 1 1/3 tbsp of oil
- 1/4 cup of chia seeds ((optional))
For the eggs:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2–4 brown eggs
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika ((optional))
- For the waffles: Turn the waffle maker on the medium cook setting. Make sure to spray down the waffle maker with a coconut or olive oil based cooking spray so the waffles don’t stick. Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl, mixing until smooth. Pour the batter in the middle of the waffle maker, using your spoon to spread evenly over the maker. Let cook for 5 minutes, or until desired crispiness is achieved (I love everything a little on the crispy side, so I let go for a little longer). Once the waffles are done, remove from the waffle maker and place aside. The paleo pancake mix usually makes me 2 whole waffles.
- For the eggs: I’m pretty sure cast iron skillets are the best thing to happen to life. Coat the skillet with coconut oil, and let cook on low for a minute or two. Crack the eggs, and let them cook for 5 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- I also took a half of an avocado, mashed it up, and placed the mashed goodness on the top of the bottom waffle. I placed spinach on top of the avocado mix, with the egg added as the grand finale. Feel free to have fun with this: add some Sriracha, chocolate, whatever 🙂