This healthy spaghetti squash recipe with chicken is one of my favorite weeknight meals, not only because it is quick but also features minimal ingredients. With Primal Kitchen’s Marinara and Basil Sauce, this is one low carb meal your entire family is bound to love!
Please note that this post does contain affiliate links, in which I will receive a small commission if you visit the links and make a purchase. The products listed here are products that I know and trust, and use myself! I only share products that I believe in, and feel comfortable suggesting to you.
Spaghetti Squash – A Nutritional Powerhouse
I’ve always wondered how people made spaghetti out of spaghetti squash. I mean those things are like pumpkins, how on earth can you not only make spaghetti out of that, but does it taste good?
Well I decided to give it a try, and not only did it taste good, getting spaghetti-like noodles out of the squash wasn’t as hard as I assumed it would be. Besides being a great low carb alternative, spaghetti squash has a fair amount of fiber (2.2g) or 9 percent of your daily recommended value. Spaghetti squash also contains omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids to help ward off inflammation.
This healthy spaghetti squash recipe with chicken is the perfect way to get in all those nutrients, and have a tasty meal as well. That never happens right?
Can You Cook a Spaghetti Squash Whole in the Oven?
Yes! I find it’s easier to cook the spaghetti squash whole, and then cut it. To cook the spaghetti squash whole, pre heat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the spaghetti squash on a sheet pan, and pierce holes in each side with a fork. Place the sheet pan in the oven for an hour. You can also cook the spaghetti squash in an Instant Pot as well (very helpful in a pinch!)
Once the spaghetti squash is done, remove from the oven and let cool. Once it is completely cooled, you can cut it in half, starting at the opposite end of the stem. Use a fork to remove the seeds and shred out the noodles.
Healthy Spaghetti Squash Recipe with Chicken
If you have any picky eaters in the house, feel free to cook the marinara sauce separate, and let them add in as much as they want! I personally love the Primal Kitchen Marinara with Basil Sauce because it actually does not mess with my digestion afterwards. I can not say that about too many other brands that are full of sugar and other junk.
If you love spaghetti squash and are looking for other meal ideas, check out my Paleo Shrimp Scampi recipe.Print
- 1 whole spaghetti squash
- 1 cup Primal Kitchen Marinara and Basil Sauce
- 3/4 lb ground chicken
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
For the spaghetti squash:
- Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the spaghetti squash on a sheet pan, and pierce with a fork.
- Place the sheet pan in the oven for an hour.
- Once the hour is up, remove the sheet pan from the oven and let the spaghetti squash cool.
- Once cooled, cut in half from stem to bottom.
- Use a fork to remove the seeds, and scrape the spaghetti shreds.
For the chicken:
- Place a medium pan on the stovetop on medium heat.
- Coat the pan with the avocado oil, and place the ground chicken, salt and pepper. Cover with a lid.
- After 5 minutes, remove the lid, and use a spatula to ground the chicken.
- Replace the cover, and continue cooking for 10 – 15 minutes or until completely done.
- Add in the marinara sauce and spinach, and continue cooking until the spinach is completely wilted.
- Place the ground chicken on top of the spaghetti squash halves, or on a plate.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings.